Thursday 16 April 2015

Jicama Caramel Pie
I posted this in my twitter , and I would like to share this spectacular Jicama Caramel Pie , for those who like pies I recommend this to all to try this, the taste of mouthwatering caramel we love, I am sure everybody loves caramel.

If anybody would like to make this , you won't regret it. I know Jicama does'nt have that  interesting taste , but with caramel its really works and added to it is toasted walnut ,and a pinch of cinnamon. 
Jicama is very similar to apple, water chestnut, turnips.This root vegetable is commonly and extreme food source in my country, we used this for stir fry, salad, slaw,and we didn't know if we could turn out this to dessert or for afternoon tea. And people usually eat this for snacks, sliced it into fine sticks and dip into spicy vinegar,or shrimps paste. Anyway,I thought about this Jicama if i could make this a pie, so I made it , and turns out very well, and delicious. 

My friend asked me if what do I making I said' A pie ,she said a pie out of jicama ,are you serious? I said yes , wait and see and taste it and find out your curiosity.
I had it taste first to her and she said; wooow this is delicious and I like'd it with caramel' impressive idea.


So let us start cooking, all you need is .

ingredients;
  1. 9- inch pie pastry double 
  2. 3 medium size JIcama( cut into fine matchsticks)
  3. 1 cup homemade caramel
  4. 1/4 cup toasted walnuts 
  5. 1 tsp vanilla extract
  6. a dash 0f cinnamon
  7. dash of salt
  8. 1/4 cup water
  9. 1 Tbsp evaporated milk ( for glazing) or 1 egg plus 1 tbsp fresh milk 
cooking time;
Preheat the oven to 375 F .Fit the bottom into a 9-inch pie plate.
In a large skillet ,put jicama, homemade caramel, vanilla, dash of cinnamon, salt, water, bring to a  boil for about 8-10 minutes until the jicama are just tender and still has the crisp,turn off heat add the toasted walnut . Fill the pie shell with the jicama mixture, cover with the top pastry. Using baking brush glazed the top with evaporated milk. Bake pie for 40 -45 minutes until lightly golden browned.Cool before serving.





Serving:8
Prep time:20 minutes + several minutes for homemade caramel 
Baking time:45 minutes 


Tips:
  1. You can buy caramel or make your own homemade caramel.
  2. Look for  fresh Jicama for this recipe.
  3. Good crust makes your pie more delicious. In this recipe I used my buttery pie crust.I posted it here , please search.
#happy 
#cooking
#pies
#jicama


No comments:

Post a Comment